Wednesday October 18, 2017

Sd.Kfz.234/2 Puma - 2.Pz.Div.

 

Item number: 88013

Status: Available

Scale: 1/72

About the model:
* true to scale model made from plastic for highest detail and metal parts
* fully assembled
* markings pad printed for ultimate realistic effect
* historically accurate painted and marked
* including protective case for display
* package comes with open window display
* limited production!

 

The Sd.Kfz.234 is the successor of the eight wheeled armored cars Sd.Kfz.231 which were developed in the 30's. These new armored cars had a new design and a powerful engine. All axles are driven and steerable. The most advantage was the feature of two drivers - one for normal driving and one for backward driving. So they could drive back within seconds without turning, which was an important feature for a recon vehicle that the 234 initially was supposed to be. The weight of slightly below 12 tons and the 220hp engine allowed a top speed of around 90km/h!
This version, called the "Puma" was armed with a 5cm KwK39/1 L/60 and a coaxial 7,92mm MG42 in a fully rotatable turret. There were 55 rounds for the main gun carried within the vehicle and the "Puma" was the first heavy armed recon tank of the Wehrmacht. From December 1943 to June 1944 only 101 pieces of the "Puma" were produced. Only 13 of a Pz.Sp.Kp.a were outfitted with the longrange Fu12 transmitter.

The 2.Panzerdivision was raised in October 1935 in Würzburg and took part at the invasion of Poland in 1939. Then in 1940 it moved to the western front and invaded Luxembourg and France and moved to Dunkirk. After the fall of France it was first transferred back home and then in Spetember 1940 to Poland.  in 1941 it was then transferred to Romania and took part at the battles in Greece. In summer 1941 it was transported back home for refreshment and stayed as reserve in Poland and southern France. In October 1941 the Division was brought into action on the eastern front with the Heeresgruppe-Mitte. There it fought until end of 1943 at Rshew, Smolensk, Orel and Gomel.
Then at the beginning of 1944 the Division was transferred to Normandy where it was annihilated in combat in August 1944. It was then refreshed and reraised in october in the area of Bitburg. the Division then took part in the fights of the Ardennes and fought in 1945 in the German homeland where it surrendered to alliied troops in May 1945.


Click on images to enlarge