Wednesday October 18, 2017

Panzer III Ausf.L - 3.Pz.Gren.Div., Russia 1942

 

Item number: 88029

Status: Available

Scale: 1/72

About the model:
* true to scale model made from plastic for highest detail with metal parts
* rotatable turret
* fully assembled
* markings pad printed for ultimate realistic effect
* accurate painted and marked
* including protective case for display
* package comes with open window display
* limited production!

The Panzer III was the standard medium tank of the German Army besides the Panzer IV in the WW2. From 1936 - 1943 more than 5700 Panzer III were produced. The chassis served also as base for the StuG III which was in production until the end of the war.
The Panzer III got the role of the anti-tank vehicle while the Panzer IV was intended for infantry support. However - this changed over later in the war.
The first Panzer III versions Ausf.A-D came from End of 1936 in small numbers and with different suspension layouts to test the most suitable suspension for massproduction. They already got the 3,7cm AT cannon which was built into the Panzer III turrets until the Ausf.F.
In 1939 the first Panzer III Ausf.E which is the first of the series production with the well known 6 wheel suspension was produced. The next change was while the production of Ausf.F when the new 5cm KwK L/42 was introduced and later with Ausf.J the longer 5cm KwK L/60 cannon. Additionally the armorplates were increased in thickness from Ausf.H on. With the Ausf.L a new 20mm spaced armor on the front was introduced and carried on with the subsequent marks.
The Ausf.L was produced from December 1941 to September 1942 with about 1470 vehicles.
The armament was the 5cm KwK L/60 with 84 rounds stored inside the tank plus one 7.92mm MG34. It consists a crew of 5 soldiers. The engine was a 285hp Maybach HL 120 TRM and allowed a maximum speed of 40km/h. The tank was 6.17m long, 2.95m wide and 2.50m high. Its combat weight was 22.5t and it ran on the 38cm wide Kgs 61/400/120 tracks. 

The 3.Panzergrenadier Division formed from the 3.Infanteriedivision (mot) which has been renamed in June 1943 in Southern France. It was moved then to Italy where it stayed under command of Heeresgruppe C. In August 1944 it was the moved back to Germany where it was sent into action to Metz, and the Ardennes. In March 1945 it was in the area of Cologne and Remagen. It finally surrendered in the Ruhr pocket in April 1945.


Click on images to enlarge