Wednesday October 18, 2017

Sd.Kfz.234/1 - 4.Pz.Div.1945

Item number: 88012

Status: Available

Scale: 1/72

About the model:
* true to scale model made from plastic for highest detail and metal parts
* fully assembled
* markings pad printed for ultimate realistic effect
* historically accurate painted and marked
* including protective case for display
* package comes with open window display
* limited production!

 

The Sd.Kfz.234 is the successor of the eight wheeled armored cars Sd.Kfz.231 which were developed in the 30's. These new armored cars had a new design and a powerful engine. All axles are driven and steerable. The most advantage was the feature of two drivers - one for normal driving and one for backward driving. So they could drive back within seconds without turning, which was an important feature for a recon vehicle that the 234 initially was supposed to be. The weight of slightly below 12 tons and the 220hp engine allowed a top speed of around 90km/h!

The 234/1 got a 2cm KwK38 in an open topped turret together with a coaxial MG42. The turret got a movable mesh frame to "close" above the turret to avoid grenades being thrown inside. From April 1944 to March 1945 there were 230 produced and issued to to the staff of Panzer Aufklaerungs Abteilungen. The combat weight was around 11.5 tons.

The 4th Panzerdivision was raised in November 1938 in Würzburg/Germany and fought initially from 1st of September 1939 in Poland. End of 1939 it was transferred to the western border and took part in the invasion of France.
In 1941 it was transferred to the eastern front and put under command of Heeresgruppe Mitte. It took part in the fights of Tula, Orel, Kursk, Kowel and moved back in 1944 to Lithuania and Kurland. In April 1945 the Division was captured by russian forces on the vistula spit.


Click on images to enlarge